logo
Home For The Original Vintage Ski-Doo oldski-doosleds Message Board Since 2003!
Where the experts hang out. Portal for oldski-doosleds web site.
Click here for Snowmobile Events
#oldski-doosleds #vintageski-doo #vintageskidoo © 2017
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
August 23, 2017, 01:17:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: See Terms in Help Desk Area Before Using This Message Board.

  oldski-doosleds' Vintage Ski-Doo Message Board
  oldski-doosleds Message Board
  Vintage ski-doo General Disscusion

  I can finally see the end...
� previous next �
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: I can finally see the end...  (Read 737 times)
Green and Gold
Global Moderator
*****

Posts: 526

-Doos, Superbirds, & SAC forever

View Profile E-Mail
Re:I can finally see the end...
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 06:57:13 AM »
Reply with quote

So which did you find harder to do, weld or sew? 

I’ve never used a vacuum bag on any of my glass projects, but I’ve rolled, wetted, tried various polys/epoxies, matts and mixtures and still wind up with air pockets/bubbles.  So don’t feel too bad about the body work; the results certainly look good.

Did you modify the mikuni cable end to make it compatible?  If so, any tips on re-attaching the lugs?  I’ve tried welding/brazing but haven’t had much luck on the stranded stainless steel cables.  Was thinking of trying to make a casting mold for lead, but looking for an easier way.

Lastly, who/what did you use to host the pics?

Great job, sled really pops.  Don’t try it out in 2 feet of untracked snow, however……. 
Report to moderator Logged
bom600
Boardnation God
*****

Posts: 89



As a kid we went ski dooing, not much has changed.

View Profile
Re:I can finally see the end...
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
Reply with quote

Welding the chassis was probably the most difficult, metal too thin. The sewing wasn't bad after I finally got it started, a little hesitant to take the first step I guess.

On the cable, It was a mikuni one into two cable. It was about 1 in too short to fit the throttle lever. So I got a longer cable and where it fit in the plastic adapter which connects the two cable to one, I JB Welded a piece of brass tube on the end of the cable. Seems to work pretty good.

I started using Imgur.

Thanks for the comment and no not two feet of snow I was thinking the plowed road. 
Report to moderator Logged

1968 Super 370
1970 292 'Black Dot'
1971 340 Tnt
1971 Tnt 440 HA
1971 Tnt 775 HA
1971 399 Oly HA
1972 340 Tnt HA
1977 340 RV
1996 FIII 600
1999 MXZX 440
2005 Gade 600 SDI
Pages: 1 [2] Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
� previous next �
Jump to:  

oldski-doosleds' Vintage Ski-Doo Message Board
Get your Ad Free Message Board at Boardnation!   © 2013 Boardnation  Web hosting by Nubis